Filipino jetski champion vies for world title in Arizona

A Filipino is trying to make waves in the high-adrenaline water sport of jet ski as he competes in the International Jet Sports Boating Association (IJSBA) World Finals. Carlo Baltao is among the 140 participants in the IJSBA Finals in Lake Havasu City , Arizona from October 6 to 14.

In an interview that appeared in Asian Journal on Tuesday, Carlo said that he is aiming to make a splash on the record books as the very first Filipino to become a world champion in the said water sport.

“I am focusing all my energies on the World Finals this week. I will try my very best to be the first Filipino to be a world champion in jet ski," Carlo said adding that he really needs the prayers and support of the Filipino community.

The 26-year-old jet ski rider has received numerous awards in the sport back in the Philippines prior to his entry into the much-anticipated international competition.

For more than a decade, Carlo raced through the waters and quickly carved a name for himself in the exhilarating water sport.

It was in 1996 that then 15-year-old athlete from Antipolo first tried to ride a jet ski."My parents bought shares in the Subic Yacht Club and while there, I rode a jet ski. Some people who saw me invited me to join a jet ski race organized by the Jet Sport Association of the Philippines," Carlo said in the Asian Journal interview.

He later won second place in the race, which was not a simple feat considering that he was riding the waters with more experienced competitors. The following year, Carlo was egged by his parents to participate in other competitions. There was no stopping him since then.Carlo won three novice championship awards in 1997, recognized as “Rookie of the Year" in a national jet ski competition in 1998, and emerged champion in the expert division races in 1999 and 2000.In 2001, he was given the “Jet Ski Rider of the Year" before competing in his first IJSBA World Finals in Arizona.

However, it was there that Carlo recalled his first disappointment when he met an accident during the course of the race.

“I was so excited to compete in the World Finals. Actually, I believe I could have made it to the top 3. But the Thai finalist crashed into my jet ski. I fell out of the water," he narrated. "The water was so cold! I managed to ride my jet ski again and drove after the others. I still made it to the 10th place but I know if I didn’t fall I would have made it to the top," Carlo said in regret.

Not willing to be bowed down by that unfortunate incident, Carlo went on to represent the country in an invitational race which was ironically held in Thailand. He made it to the top 10.

But at the age of 23, Carlo took a rest from joining competitions. He said that the cost of his participation in various contests took its toll on his family.

“I stopped joining competitions after 2004 because it was very expensive. My family was spending for all my expenses – training, registration fees, transportation and accommodation. We tried to get the support of the government and many sports organizations in the Philippines but they all said they have no budget," Carlo said.

According to the Asian Journal, a single jet ski would go for about P1 million without the needed modifications. But perhaps, Carlo’s passion for the sport has influenced his family, too as they have also shown interest in jet ski. His mother, Onie, has participated in several races while his brother, James, duplicated his feat as the Jet Ski Rookie of the Year in 2000.

It was no surprise that when he decided to try out for the World Finals again this year, his whole family was backing him. Carlo flew to California with his manager, Mike Martinez in mid-August to start training for the competition. Carlo is participating in the Expert class of the IJSBA World Finals where he must succeed in three rounds: qualifying, MOTO 1 and MOTO 2.

For now, he is keeping his eye on competing in several US regional races.

“The regional races in California, Florida, Texas and other States start January. So, after the World Finals, I’ll stay in California and train for those regional events," Carlo said. - Mark J. Ubalde, GMANews.TV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

Selling of balikbayan boxes online part of deal between sender, firm —BOC By JOAHNA LEI CASILAO, GMA Integrated News

Dozens injured after train derails in Netherlands: emergency services --- Agence France-Presse