MANILA, Philippines - A Filipino man has been tested positive for the A(H1N1) virus in Macau, making him the first such case in the former Portuguese colony.
Consul General Jaime Victor Ledda, told GMANews.TV that the Filipino was intercepted at the Macau International Airport on Wednesday after arriving from the Philippines, which already has 344 confirmed cases as of Thursday afternoon.
"He is now being attended to. He is quite alright," Ledda said.
The Filipino worker in Macau is the 12th reported case abroad that contracted the case from the Philippines, which includes a mother and daughter in Taiwan who visited the Philippines, two Filipino nurses in Saudi Arabia, two tourists and two workers in Hong Kong; Filipino-Japanese siblings in Japan; and one in Singapore.
One of the Filipino nurses who had been confirmed to have infected the flu was also the first such case in Saudi Arabia.
Ledda said the Filipino worker in Macau is recovering from the flu and will be released soon. The consulate had earlier launched a massive information campaign to the Filipino community there to prevent the spread of the disease.
The Chinese territory is home to about 16, 400 Filipino workers, permanent residents and dependents. Majority of the Filipinos there are employed as domestic helpers while the rest are working in hotels, casinos, retail and health care.
Earlier, a Filipino family was reported to have been quarantined in Macau for sharing the same airplane with a foreign tourist with a confirmed case of the ‘swine flu.’ They were released ten days after exhibiting no signs of the disease. - GMANews.TV