UAE-based Pinoy production, artists win in Japan and France

By LUCKY MAE F. QUILAO A film produced by United Arab Emirates-based Filipinos, and three of production artists have won in the Tokyo Film Awards, and Auber International Film Festival. The feat was announced this first month of 2022. "Christmas came twice for me. Upon looking at the glossary of filmmakers who have participated, I can confidently tell myself: Ah, we are finally cemented!" shared Francis Luscianne Javier Gacer, 45, a designer in a multinational supermarket chain in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and director of Kikoman Films (KMF). Gacer believed that the award-giving body in Japan has a meticulous eye for films. Siphayo (Depression) is the story of a teenager who had experienced a dark incident with her school teacher but was keeping it from her mother and aunt. The teenager was portrayed by Dominique Ashley Garcia who won the golden award for "Best Actress" in the same festival, the mother was performed by Jenelyn Empasis who won "Best Actress" in Auber International Film Festival, and the school teacher by Joseph Binayao who won "Best Actor" in the Auber International Film Festival as well. "As the founder and director of Kikoman Films, it's always been my dream to see KMF talents excel and be known to the world as individual artists. We are all OFWs and there will be a day that we will all part ways and be back to our hometown. This will be the legacy that I can share with them and the sense of pride that they will bring to their family. They have definitely gotten my respect. Salute to all the KMF casts and crew!" Gacer added in an interview via email on January 2. Best actresses Dominique Ashley Garcia, 14, "never anticipated to win" as "Best Actress" when she played as "Elena," the teenager, in the same film festival. "First time ko maging involved sa acting industry," revealed the Grade 10 student. She was even just left speechless while her mother and relatives had talked about the"big announcement" via Zoom and Dir. Gacer had called her. "I merely stated 'OMG!' and 'Thank you!' kasi sobrang unexpected siya. I did once envision myself as an actress when I was around 5 to 6 years old but even up until 13, I wasn't really passionate about acting," Garcia added in an interview via Messenger on January 2. Her mother and grandmother knew otherwise, however. "My mom and lola were actually the ones who propelled me into joining KMF and I didn't regret it. At that point, I began to realize that the greatest opportunities come along if you pray, expect less, keep your chin up, and, most importantly, keep your feet on the ground." Jenelyn Empasis, a 29-year-old nanny of two Lebanese children, on the other hand, won "Best Actress," too, at the Auber International Film Festival in France. "'Siphayo' is not my first film project with the Kikoman Films. Marami na akong films sa Kikoman at mostly doon, nagka-award kami," she disclosed, citing "Papel Sa Poste", "Angas" and "Limbaswang". "[Pero] Wala talaga sa isip ko ang pag-aarte kasi mahiyain ako sa harap ng mga tao. Pero nung lockdown sa Dubai dahil sa pandemic, I was thinking na what if sasali ako sa pag-a-acting dito," the "Ensyang" in the film added in an interview via Messenger on January 2. So aside from Dir. Gacer, Empasis would like to thank her employers for giving her a chance to do the movie. "They give me enough time para sa movie ko. Like sa pag practice namin via Zoom and weekend face-to-face practice. Lagi rin nilang sabi sa akin is keep it up and good luck. The kids also, when they know na may practice ako, hindi na ako iistorbohin." Best actor Also winning at the Auber International Film Festival was Joseph Binayao, a 42-year-old restaurant manager at the Mayon Restogrill, for "Best Actor." "Since my childhood, it has been my dream to become an actor. I wasn't given a chance to be one in the Philippines but I didn't stop dreaming that one day it will happen," he admitted in an interview via Messenger on January 2. He had been given a chance in KMF, though, receiving the same award at the Halicarnassus Film Festival in Turkey for the film "Langay-langayan sa Nanunuyong Palayan." "I'm so thankful to Direk Francis for trusting me on all the films na ginawa ko. And with the support of my family and friends I make it sure that in every film na gagawin will be the 101% of my talent." "I learned from 'Siphayo' to be the opposite of my character 'Noel' -- to respect people, uplift the dignity of an individual, support instead of taking advantage from our youth, and be the perfect example of a human being." —LBG, GMA News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

UP Diliman Professors Share Scientists’ Procurement Struggles at Senate Hearing

Gaza war rages into fourth month as Blinken tours Middle East Adel Zaanoun with Ilan Ben Zion in Jerusalem, --- Agence France-Presse