Filipina grateful for leaving Gaza, but worried for loved ones left behind By GMA Integrated News

While she is grateful to be evacuated, a Filipina who was stranded in war-torn Gaza said she is worried for her loved ones who were left behind. In JP Soriano’s report on “24 Oras” on Wednesday, Nadia Calvo Alzanki thanked the government for facilitating their safe rescue to Egypt via the Rafah border crossing and their return to the Philippines. Nadia and her Palestinian husband, Mahmoud Nabil Habib, were among the fourth batch of repatriates from the enclave that arrived in the country. “‘Yung term po na ‘masaya’ iba po, eh. Hindi ko alam kung magiging masaya po ba ako sa future kasi nga po, family po namin nasa Gaza pa rin hanggang ngayon. Kung di pa po tumitigil ‘yung war, hindi ko masasabi na masaya po talaga pero sobrang grateful,” said Nadia. (I cannot say I am happy because my family is still in Gaza. If the war persists, then I am not happy. But I am grateful.) Mahmoud shared her sentiment and said: [The] Philippine Embassy in Egypt, the vice-consul, he did his best to [include] my name in the list”. “I’m still also [thankful] but the same situation, I am still sad because still, all of my family is still remaining there. Until now, I don’t know what really happens to them,” he said. (I’m also thankful but also sad because my family is still there. Until now, I don’t know their current situation is.) More than 100 Filipinos and their Palestinian partners exited Gaza after the Gaza-Egypt border opened for evacuation. On November 2, two Filipino doctors volunteering for the international organization Doctors Without Borders safely crossed the border from Gaza into Egypt. They were followed by 40 more Filipinos on November 8. On November 10, 56 more Filipinos left Gaza, according to President Ferdinand "Bongbong'' Marcos Jr. However, the DFA said 14 of the 56 Pinoys decided to stay and not proceed to Cairo after their Palestinian spouses were not provided security clearance. On Tuesday, 14 more Filipinos, including four children and one baby, arrived in the Philippines from the besieged territory. —Sundy Locus/LDF, GMA Integrated News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

UP Diliman Professors Share Scientists’ Procurement Struggles at Senate Hearing

Gaza war rages into fourth month as Blinken tours Middle East Adel Zaanoun with Ilan Ben Zion in Jerusalem, --- Agence France-Presse