Health, career among OFWs' resolutions for 2013


by Patrick Camara Ropeta, ABS-CBN Europe New Bureau


LONDON - Many people are already struggling to keep their new year’s resolutions by the second week of January, according to a study from the University of Bristol.
Yet many around the world still insist in setting personal goals each year, including Filipinos in the UK wishing for a better life in the coming year through self-improvement in health, lifestyle, and finances.
“After all the things that happened in my life, I have to look forward to a positive thing,” said Jean Tuballes, a hospital nurse in Liverpool.
She added: “All the negative things have to be erased. I've been feeling really low for sometime, so I think I have to be brighter and stronger.”
Don Magsino, an immigration lawyer based in London, would also like to change his ways, starting with better time management for himself and his family.
“I want more time with my family and for myself. I'm very poor with timing. I spend too much time with my clients. I love my job. I'm passionate about my business. And sometimes I don't have much time,” he confessed.
For Lyan Bizzei, a house staff in London, it’s all about her diet. She said: “Hopefully I can maintain my diet. And I want to be a good girl this year.”
Physical and emotional well-being are among the main targets for most resolutions, as well as better finances and career moves. Quitting or cutting down on alcohol and cigarettes are also high on most people’s list.
Alongside personal resolutions, some Filipinos also have wishes for the Philippines and fellow Filipinos for the new year, calling for a better future for all.
Bizzei, who is originally from Ilocos, said: “I wish everyone good health, and a better economy for the Philippines. We must unite and support each other to move forward.”
“I want overseas Filipinos to enjoy the money they work hard for. I want them to reap the rewards of their hard work in 2013. Most of [my] clients have a lot of money but they end up with no savings,” added Magsino, who has been living in the UK for 12 years.
Eva Nartea, a UK-based nurse from Samar, also said: “I hope as Filipinos we can change our attitude. Let’s stop relying on our government. Let’s change our ways. Let’s ask ourselves what we can do for our country, and not what the country can do for us.”
However, according to a research by psychologists from the University of Bristol, most people will fail in their resolutions.
The study showed 88% of people will not reach their goals for the new year, and 20% would have already given up by the end of the first month.
By the ninth day of January, according to an article from All About Health online, most people would have already drop plans to keep fit, save money and lose weight.
“I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions,” said Janette Vicera, an education worker helping OFWs in London.
She explained: “Every resolution I have made in previous years have never materialized. I wasn’t able to achieve any of them. So why should I waste my time?”
According to researchers, most people lack the proper motivation to pursue their new goals, listing a number of obstacles which include negative emotions, baggage from childhood, strong and stubborn habits, and bad influences.
For others, the desire to improve and change for the better ought not be restricted to the start of a new year, but rather an attitude all year round.
“We don’t need to wait for a new year to change. We have to wake up every morning to change for the better. It’s up to us.” said Nartea, who lives and works in Whiston.
The study also showed 60% of people want to keep their resolutions, but only 10% of them will manage to achieve it by the end of the year.
And for those who want to give it a try, psychologists are suggesting three basic and simple tools: patience, perseverance and a willingness to change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

UP Diliman Professors Share Scientists’ Procurement Struggles at Senate Hearing

Biden said set to make push for demilitarized Palestinian state as part of new doctrine ---By LAZAR BERMAN