OFW flees from Saudi employer who slapped, hit her with a broom

Published March 12, 2021 9:45pm Fed up with the abuse, an overseas Filipino worker (OFW) in Saudi Arabia was able to secretly record how she was assaulted by her employer. According to JP Soriano’s report on “24 Oras,” the video showed Ara, not her real name, being silent even as she was repeatedly slapped and hit with a broom or deck brush. “Malakas ho, nagluluto ako noon, eh, nung time na ‘yun. Tapos hindi ko akalain na kukuha pa ho siya ng walis. Tapos nung hinampas niya sa likod ko kaya hindi ako lumaban,” Ara said. (The blows were forceful. I was cooking at that time. I didn’t expect him to get a broom. And then he hit me from behind so I didn’t fight back.) Once she got the chance, Ara uploaded the video on social media. “At balak niyang pla-plantsahin ‘yung time na ‘yun. Naka-prepare na ‘yung plantsa. Tapos hindi natuloy ‘yun kasi bigla tumawag ‘yung amo ko lalaki sabi niya, uuwi na kayo kasi doon na tayo magaano sa bahay,” she said. (She was planning to use the iron. It was already prepared. And then it didn’t continue because my male employer suddenly called. He told us to go back to the house.) Ara was able to escape after they ordered her to take the garbage out. Though her employer’s driver chased after her, she was able to hide. “Nag-run away ako, hinabol ako ng driver. Tapos may nakita akong buhangin, pinasok ko talaga ‘yung katawan ko, ulo lang ‘yung lumabas,” she said. (I ran away and was chased by the driver. I saw a pile of sand and buried my whole body under it. Only my head was outside.) “Nung nakita ko ‘yung driver na papalapit, hindi muna ako bumangon. Nang makita ko ‘yung driver na papalayo na, doon bigla lumabas na ako at naghanap ako ng makakatulong sa akin,” she added. (When I saw that the driver was nearing, I did not get up. When I saw him leaving, I immediately got out and looked for help.) She was now staying at the Philippine Labor Office in Al Khobar. Ara thanked everyone who shared her video and those who helped her. She said her male employer had been detained while her female employer was pleading with her to drop the case, even offering to pay her. “Kung magkano pera na gusto ko para maiurong lang ‘yung kaso. Sabi ko hindi pa ako makapag desisyon niyan kasi hindi niyo alam kung gaano kahirap ‘yung ginawa niyo sa akin,” she said. (She would pay me whatever amount I wanted just as long as I dropped the case. I told her I still couldn't decide on the matter. She had no idea how bad things were for me.) — Joahna Lei Casilao/DVM, GMA News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

UP Diliman Professors Share Scientists’ Procurement Struggles at Senate Hearing

Gaza war rages into fourth month as Blinken tours Middle East Adel Zaanoun with Ilan Ben Zion in Jerusalem, --- Agence France-Presse