Filipino Michael del Mar breaks through in Dubai fashion scene --- By GMA Integrated News

A Filipino fashion designer and CEO is slowly but steadily making his mark on the Dubai fashion scene. Michael del Mar, fashion and creative director for luxury brands and the CEO of experiential marketing agency Icon, grew up exposed to arts and culture during his childhood in Cebu City. Del Mar's interest in fashion began in college he went to fashion shows and go-sees of designers after he befriended a model. He later attended a job fair and got a job in Dubai. “I came to Dubai by accident,” Del Mar told GMA Pinoy TV. “I spoke to my dad. He was apprehensive and telling me like ‘You know what, I give you a year or two. You're gonna be back here.’ I took the one-way ticket and I'm still here two decades later,” he added. He said life in Dubai was not easy as he worked 12-hour to 14-hour shifts at the airport hotel. “We had limited offs. We barely have breaks. We basically have 24-hour shifts. Is this really the opportunity that I took?” Del Mar said. The struggle led Del Mar to look for other job openings. This led him to a job at Diva Models. “I was literally going out in the streets knocking at doors at offices and asking if there are openings for me,” Del Mar said. “I stumbled upon [Diva Models]. I told [the owner], ‘Okay, take me for three weeks. Don't pay me anything and if you think I would be good for the job take me. And she did take me,” he added. Del Mar started as a junior booker and worked his way to head booker. He became years later the head of the agency with his name getting known in Dubai’s fashion scene. "I met Michael in Dubai in 2005. He's been my friend for 18 years. We work and travel together. He’s exceptionally talented [and] he's very passionate about his work,” Dubai-based fashion designer Michael Cinco said. Del Mar found another big break when he was head-hunted by executive director and producer Bong Guererro to be part of the core team for Dubai Fashion Forward, one of the biggest fashion events that launched talented designers in Dubai. "I realized that there was a kind of shortage of show directors, so I actually confronted Bong Guerrero. I basically started show directing while I was in Dubai Fashion Forward," Del Mar said. Even with Filipinos all over the world, Del Mar said he had to deal with double standards in the industry. “We need to overcome all these stereotypes. Break the mold, and go out of the box. Let the rejections come. I didn’t let it define me,” Del Mar said. "Everywhere a Filipino goes he always makes an impact," he added. —Jiselle Ann C. Casucian/NB, GMA Integrated News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

UP Diliman Professors Share Scientists’ Procurement Struggles at Senate Hearing

Gaza war rages into fourth month as Blinken tours Middle East Adel Zaanoun with Ilan Ben Zion in Jerusalem, --- Agence France-Presse