OFW Nanny of the Year in Dubai: Loving my career changed my life ---- By SHERYLIN UNTALAN, GMA Integrated News

Like many Overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), Esperanza Deangkinay decided to leave the country to work abroad. Her aim? To give her family a better life. Esperanza’s journey began 27 years ago when she left her home province of Quezon in 1997 for the Emirate of Dubai. She said she faced challenges was not easy and was made more difficult after her father passed away when she was only 12 years old. “Twelve years old ako noong kami ay maulila sa Tatay at ang bunso po namin ay tatlong taon noong time na ‘yun. Kaming magkakapatid ay nagtulungan para sa ikauunlad ng aming buhay. Ang kasama po namin ay ang aming Lola at aming Nanay lamang,” she said in an interview in GMA Pinoy TV’s “Portraits”. (I was only 12 years old when we lost our father and my youngest sibling was only 3 years old at the time. My siblings and I had to strive in order to have a better life. We only had our grandmother and our mom to rely on.) While her elder siblings were studying in college as mass communication and criminology students, she begged her mother to allow her work to help with their daily needs. “Pumapasok po ako ng limang piso lang ang aking baon sa college, ang hirap kasi ayokong manghingi ng pamasahe sa’yo, sabi kong ganon kay Nanay,” she shared. (I used to attend classes with only five pesos in my pocket, it was hard because I didn't want to ask you for a fare, she told her mom.) Ezperanza said working abroad was not not her first choice but she recalled the pieces of jewelry worn by her cousins who worked overseas caught her attention. “Sabi ko, someday, magkakaroon din ako niyan,” she said. (I told myself that someday, I too will have something like that.) In Dubai, Esperanza looked at different kinds of employment from secretary to factory worker to taking care of family pets. Despite having no experience in cleaning or taking care of children, Esperanza gravitated towards taking care of children. She said she learned to love and learn her job as a nanny. In 2019 her efforts and passion were recognized: Ezperanza was awarded by the Gawad Kasambahay as “Nanny of the Year”. “Kumbaga sa akin, it’s amazing na maka-ano ng 25 years. Ang magpapabago pala sa buhay mo ay pagmamahal, It’s about love to my career. It’s about love to the children na pinagtatrabahuhan ko. Kasi kung walang pagmamahal at pera lang, hindi mo magagawa ‘to. Ang hirap palang gawin.” (For me, it's amazing to be able to work as a Nanny for 25 years, Love changed my life, it's about love to my career. It's about love for the children I work for. You would not be able to do this work just for money, you will need to have love. It has many challenges.) But despite the difficulties, Esperanza has found something deeper and meaningful that helped her thrive in her chosen profession far from home. “‘Yung tawagin kang ate, ‘yung tawagin kang Mama, ‘yung hanggang ngayon shineshare nila yung problema nila sayo. Hanggang ngayon kahit graduate na sila ng college sila ay professional na, sila pa rin umaakbay at yumayakap sa akin dahil sabi nila, hindi ako katulong. Ako ay isang ina na nag-alaga sa kanila,” she added. (When they call you Big Sister or Mama, and how they open up their problems to you. Until now, even though they have graduated from college, they are now professionals, they still hug me because they tell me I am not just a maid. I am a mother who took care of them.) Esperanza’s hard work has paid off. She was able to build her own house and now runs a house rental business. Her siblings have managed to graduate from college. However, she does not wish to return to the Philippines just yet. “Sabi ng Nanay ko, bakit hindi ka pa umuwi? Sabi ko, I want to enjoy my life, ako naman,” she said. (My Mother said, why don't you come home? I told her, “I want to enjoy my life, it’s my turn.”)—RF, GMA Integrated News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

UP Diliman Professors Share Scientists’ Procurement Struggles at Senate Hearing

Gaza war rages into fourth month as Blinken tours Middle East Adel Zaanoun with Ilan Ben Zion in Jerusalem, --- Agence France-Presse