Sis of OFW saved from death row thankful for Vecina commutation

MANILA, Philippines - The sister of a female overseas Filipino worker (OFW) in Kuwait who was earlier saved from death row was overjoyed upon learning from GMANews.TV that the life of another Filipina in the said oil-rich country was spared by Kuwait's emir.

Wilfreda Ranario, 25, the younger sister of Marilou, was thankful that May Vecina's death sentence was commuted to life imprisonment on July 8.

"I'm so happy to hear about it. Thank God May is out of harm's way," Wilfreda told GMANews.TV in a phone interview Thursday evening.

Kuwait's Emir saved the life of Marilou from death row immediately after President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo visited him in December 2007. Ranario was convicted for murdering her female employer in January 2005.

After her sister's death sentence was commuted, Wilfreda joined Migrante International, an alliance of OFWs, in urging the government to save Vecina's life.

"My family suffered after my sister was convicted in Kuwait but we were very happy when she was saved from death row. I would advice May's family to count on God and the Filipino people's help, like what we did when we were in the same situation," Wilfreda said.

Wilfreda said Marilou advised her on the phone last month not to seek employment abroad because she feared that Wilfreda might suffer the fate of OFWs being exploited by their employers.

"I know how May's family feels. I also miss my sister very much. My sister is my best friend, she took care of me while we were living in Tubod, Surigao del Norte. I keep on praying that I'll see her again soon," she said. - Mark Joseph Ubalde, GMANews.TV

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

Biden said set to make push for demilitarized Palestinian state as part of new doctrine ---By LAZAR BERMAN

In Cairo, senior Hamas officials discuss hostage deal with Egyptian intelligence chief ---By TOI STAFF, AGENCIES and LAZAR BERMAN