Pinoy jailed for 16 years in Kuwait asks PHL govt for help with blood money

A 41-year-old Filipino, Joseph Urbiztondo, who has been jailed in Kuwait for the past 16 years for murdering a Bangladeshi, is appealing to the Philippine government, particularly to Vice President Jejomar Binay, for help in settling the "blood money." In an interview with GMA News Online, Urbiztondo said he was sentenced to 25 years in prison for murdering a Bangladeshi company transportation driver. “I was forced to admit the crime because local authorities refused to stop torturing me during investigations. I was very afraid and helpless as I was the only Filipino then inside the jail," Urbiztondo said. He said he asked for help with the blood money or the amount to be settled with the victim's family in exchange for pardon. "I have asked the assistance of the Philippines Ambassador then in 1996, Shulan Primavera to intercede and provide assistance to my case. I was informed that an appeal has been sent to DFA, yet I was informed that no funds were available,” Urbiztondo said. In 2010, Urbiztondo appealed to Philippine Senator Manny Villar, who called the attention of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA). Urbiztondo claimed that he received a letter from Office of the Undersecretary for Migrant Workers Affairs (OUMWA) Esteban Conejos Jr. saying that DFA funds could not be utilized for such cases and that only OFWs serving death sentences were given priorities. Urbiztondo expressed his dismay over the DFA response. GMA News Online has sought the DFA for comment but has yet to receive a reply. “We have had cases of Filipina women admitting to crimes such as murdering their employers and the Philippine government had generously paid in millions for “blood money” in exchange of the “Tanazul” or forgiveness letter," he said. He said his lawyer informed him that they only needed 6,000 Kuwait Dinars (KD), equivalent to around P900,000 to resolve the case. "It would have been better if Kuwait court sentenced me to death, so that the Philippine government gives out the financial assistance needed,” lamented Urbiztondo. Asked if he felt neglected by the Philippine Embassy in Kuwait and the Philippine government, he said “Although I have not been visited by any embassy official for the past six months." However, he said "I believe it is not neglect on the part of the Philippine Embassy in Kuwait since most ambassadors in the past have made effort to appeal for my case that included and listed my name in the annual appeal for “Amir’s Pardon” (Kings’ Pardon) submitted for review during the occasion of the Eid." He thinks the policy being implemented by DFA is what needs to be changed to "cover and protect OFWs rights and privileges especially those in jails worldwide." “I appeal to the Philippine Ambassador Shulan Primavera and Philippine Vice President Jejomar Binay who has been a blessing to millions to OFWs to kindly help me return to my family this Christmas. My family has suffered and still is suffering from this nightmare," Urbiztondo said. Binay is the presidential adviser on overseas Filipino workers' affairs. "To my kababayans in Kuwait; please give me the chance to go home by helping raise the amount needed to start my life anew with my family. Please help me," Urbiztondo added. - Ricky Laxa, AM/VVP, GMA News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

Selling of balikbayan boxes online part of deal between sender, firm —BOC By JOAHNA LEI CASILAO, GMA Integrated News

Dozens injured after train derails in Netherlands: emergency services --- Agence France-Presse