170 37 0 0 Filtered By: Pinoyabroad PINOY ABROAD Filipina hits US roads with 18-wheeler truck By GMA Integrated News

A Filipina in the United States has navigated her way through the male-dominated world of 18-wheeler truck drivers. Overseas Filipino worker Jonalyn Johns goes behind the wheel of the truck that secures deliveries of goods in various parts of the US. Johns started as a single parent in the Philippines, where she met her present husband. They later moved to the US. “When I came here, I didn’t want to bring my child because I was a single mom when I met him… Yung nanay niya sabi niya dalhin mo lang yung anak mo ako yung mag-aalaga. So, nung pumunta kami sa US, yung nanay niya yung nagalaga sa anak ko, (His mom told me to just bring my daughter and she’ll take care of her. So, when we came to the US, his mother cared for my daughter)” Johns said. Before she got her work permit, she accompanied her husband to trucking sites and became interested in driving big trucks because it felt free and brought her to different places in the US. “Maganda pala yung trucking tapos nakita yung sahod niya, malaki yung sahod niya (Trucking seems good, and it pays good, too),” said Johns, whose husband is also a truck driver. She said that learning to drive a truck felt intimidating. No one seemed to take her seriously. "I said I'm here to learn, give me the truck with the stick. But they said I should just use the automatic. But I insisted on learning the truck with the stick," she said. The five-footer Pinay often gets a surprise look when people hear that she drives a truck She said one of the most difficult parts of navigating an 18-wheeler was backing up its trailer. "One needs to practice and practice. The more you do it, the more you get better at it," Johns said. Relating to her fellow workers is also a challenge. “Minsan tinitingnan nila ako. Yung iba, lalo na yung mga lalaki, sabi nila ‘Oh, you need to go back home to China’ parang ganun. Sabi ko, ‘I’m not from China’ panag ganun. Titingin talaga sila sa 'kin, tapos minsan yung sa social media nagco-comment sila ‘Oh you need to go back home and cook’,” Johns said. (Sometimes, they look at me. The others, especially the men, they go ‘Oh, you need to go back home to China’ or something like that. I said, ‘I’m not from China'. They would look at me, then sometimes on social media they comment ‘Oh, you need to go back home and cook’) "But I just ignore them and thought that maybe they're just having a bad day," she added. Talking with her 16-year-old daughter gave her the work-life balance that she needed. “Sabi ko sa sarili ko at sabi ko rin sa anak ko kailangan kong magtrabaho. I need to do this for you so I can give you a better life… Sabi ko huwag natin sayangin, I'm doing this for you para yung generation natin or next generation gumanda ang buhay kasi lumaki akong mahirap. Gusto ko na yung buhay mo medyo maluwag, ganun,” said Johns. (I told myself and told my daughter that I needed to work. I need to do this for you so I can give you a better life… I told her we shouldn’t waste this, I’m doing this for you so that our generation or the next generation will have better lives because I grew up poor. I want her to have a comfortable life) “I want her to be proud of me,” she added. While her trucking journey did not go without her fair share of sexism, racism, harassment, and troubles, Johns strived for her own goals and her family. “Dapat may pangarap po tayo, may goals tayo. Yung imagination natin dapat talagang maluwag para alam natin kung anong gagawin natin. Kung anuman yung pangarap niyo, whether it’s truck driving or kahit anong mahirap na trabaho, i-try niyo po before niyo i-give up,” she advised the public. (We should have dreams, goals. We should expand our imagination. Whatever your dream is, whether it’s truck driving or any hard task, give it a shot before you give up) —Jiselle Anne Casucian/LDF, GMA Integrated News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

UP Diliman Professors Share Scientists’ Procurement Struggles at Senate Hearing

Gaza war rages into fourth month as Blinken tours Middle East Adel Zaanoun with Ilan Ben Zion in Jerusalem, --- Agence France-Presse