No Pinoys hurt in San Bernardino shooting rampage –DFA
No Filipinos were hurt in the deadly shooting in San Bernardino, California, that left 14 people dead and 17 others wounded on Wednesday (US time), according to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), citing initial reports.
"So far we have not received reports of Filipinos to be among the victims in the shooting," DFA sokesperson Charles Jose said in a text message to GMA News Online on Thursday.
The shooting happened at Inland Regional Center where gunmen opened fire on a holiday party. Two suspects, a man and woman, were later killed in a shootout with the police.
US authorities have yet to determine if the incident was a terrorist attack.
Many Pinoys in the area
Clemente Bacani, a Filipino living three miles away from Inland Regional Center, said the agency is employer to many Filipino workers.
"Wala pang mga Pilipino na, within our community, walang nabalitaan na mga Pilipino [na nasaktan], pero dun sa lugar na 'yun, sa mismong Inland Regional Center, maraming Filipino na nagtatrabaho diyan," he said in an interview on Balitanghali.
Bacani said areas within the 10-mile radius of the crime scene was put on lockdown as police swept the place and bomb disposal units were sent to clear it.
"So far, walang makapasok at walang makalabas dun sa lugar na 'yun," he said.
Bacani said despite requests from his children and fellow Filipinos in the area, he will not arm himself and his family for protection.
"Marami akong kilalang mga Filipino na armado [at] hindi lang simpleng small arms," he said.
"They have long arms in their own residence. 'Yan po ay hindi natin maiwasan dahil karamihan ho ng kaibigan natin, they want to protect themselves," Bacani added.
The incident in San Bernardino is considered the worst mass shooting in the US since the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Newtown, Conneticut, in 2012, where 27 people, including the gunman, were killed. —Rie Takumi/KBK, GMA News