Monday, February 15, 2016

Pinoy hurt as violence continues in Saudi-Yemen border

A Filipino worker was hurt after he was hit by a stray debris believed to have come from a bomb in the troubled Saudi Arabia-Yemen border.
Ramil Deluna Lolong, who works as a fabricator welder for a construction company, suffered a broken bone on his right arm due to the incident and is currently confined in a hospital.
He said he was about to take a bath on Tuesday morning when he felt something hit his arm. Upon checking, he noticed that his arm was visibly misshapen.
Lolong said as first aid, he tied his arm and asked his housemates to bring him to a hospital. At the hospital, doctors put brace on his arm to fix the broken bone.
Lolong said he wants to return to the Philippines when discharged, as he thinks it's no longer safe to be near the Saudi Arabia-Yemen border.
"[Sana] gumaling na 'ko dito nang makauwi na sa Pilipinas," he told GMA News. "'Di na safe ang kalagayan ng mga OFWs dito."
Consul General Imelda Panolong said she has already sent a team to extend assistance to Lolong.
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) had earlier said it is monitoring
the situation of OFWs who work and live near the border in light of the constant bombings there.
An estimated 5,000 OFWs are said to be at risk due to the continued fighting between Saudi troops and rebels in Najran City.
The Saudi-led coalition is backing Yemen's government in its war against Iranian-backed rebels who overran the capital Sanaa in September 2014.
More than 6,100 people have been killed in the conflict since March last year, about half of them civilians, according to United Nations estimates.
The UN is pushing for a ceasefire and political talks in Yemen. —Ronaldo Concha/KBK, GMA News

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget