Eurasia-based Pinoy nurses laud sacrifices of fellows in Philippines

Published September 24, 2020 11:10am By LUCKY MAE F. QUILAO Some Filipino nurses in Eurasia salute their fellow nurses in the country, for their dedication and sacrifices, particularly in the time of coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Most of them cited the sacrifices they had gone through --including work overload, and low pay --when they were still in the Philippines. “I am very proud of my colleagues who are working there in the Philippines because of their great service despite the situation,” shared Francisco Miña, a 32-year-old nurse at the University Hospital in Frankfurt. “I have been overworked and underpaid myself when I was still there, receiving only P4,000 a month without overtime and benefits. Plantilla is difficult to get — you’re lucky if you know someone working in a higher position — so during those years, my status is only a job order,” the president of the Association of Filipino Nurses in Germany (AFNG) added in an interview via Messenger on September 21. Only after Miña decided to work abroad was he able to develop himself personally and professionally as well as help both of his parents suffering from diseases. “Today, my situation is better. I receive good benefits, avail free medicines and consultation, have my own-rented house, have enough vacations so I can travel around the world, enjoy a resident visa, have free training and seminars, and have an unlimited contract. I may also apply for citizenship after seven years of residency here and experience more benefits.” Like Miña, a 38-year-old nurse in the surgical intensive care unit of the University Hospital Bonn is also proud with his fellow nurses. “I am proud and salute all the Filipino nurses who stayed in the Philippines because even though they earn relatively low and less recognized by our government, they still decided to stay,” disclosed Michael Villas in an interview via Messenger on September 22. Like Miña, he had been overworked and underpaid, too, back in the Philippines. “Most of the time, my colleagues and I would hold our bladders during work so that we can help our patients urinate. We don’t eat or even drink a glass of water because we are very busy taking care of them. We also need to adjust our sleep pattern every month because of the shifting schedules.” The former head nurse at different hospitals in Cebu and Bohol only got paid between P10,000 to P15,000 monthly before being able to work in Germany. “My situation is a lot better now. I can afford the things that I only dreamt about before and I can support my parents financially in the Philippines.” Also based in Germany is Kurt Jarabilo, a 30-year-old staff nurse in Klinikum Stuttgart who is “more than proud” of his fellow healthcare workers. “I am more than proud of my friends and colleagues back home. Our job is not easy and it takes a lot of determination to be a nurse or any health care worker,” shared the former staff nurse in a private hospital in Cebu in an interview via Messenger on September 22. Jarabilo had been overworked and underpaid when he was here. “There are times when I felt like it. There would be weeks when we are all busy, the station is jampacked, and I would come home just feeling tired. There would be instances when we have to do overtime because of an unexpected hospital work or stay and assist in emergencies or other serious situations.” So he left, believing that “there are better opportunities in other countries.” “Healthcare is very different here in Germany and it’s mostly better. I am able to earn more and support myself and I have more benefits as I had back home. Our rights are very much exercised and with regard to materials and facilities at the work area, it’s pretty much been easier.” He has also wanted “a new life, a fresh start, and a chance to explore what else is out there in the world – things that Ace Espina Mabalot, 42, senior palliative and rehabilitation nurse at the Hospital Hestia Madrid, has also desired for himself. “Indeed, nurses in the Philippines are admirable despite the scarce attention to their welfare. Some have dedicated themselves to molding future nurses, too, and they’re absolutely doing a wonderful job,” opined Mabalot in an interview via Messenger on September 21. “[But] nursing wages in the Philippines are measly in comparison to other countries.... I would be a hypocrite if I wouldn’t admit that one of the main reasons I moved abroad is the salary. I also wanted to explore more culturally and gain more experiences abroad, which I think we should do in our lifetime. Life is too short to stay in your comfort zone.” As of September 23, the Philippines recorded 231, 373 COVID-19 recoveries out of the 294, 591 COVID-19 cases. —LBG, GMA News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

UP Diliman Professors Share Scientists’ Procurement Struggles at Senate Hearing

Gaza war rages into fourth month as Blinken tours Middle East Adel Zaanoun with Ilan Ben Zion in Jerusalem, --- Agence France-Presse