Report: Syrian charged for allegedly raping Pinay in Dubai

A Syrian driver faced a court in the United Arab Emirates Wednesday for allegedly raping a Filipina cleaner a day after she arrived in Dubai last May.

But the driver, 32, denied raping the 22-year-old Filipina, claiming instead that they had consensual sex, Gulf News reported.

Despite his denial, Dubai Court of First Instance Judge Maher Salama Al Mahdi rejected the driver's request for bail and adjourned the case to hear prosecution witnesses on October 23, the same online report said.

The report quoted prosecutors as saying that the Filipina arrived in Dubai on May 24, and was allegedly raped during her first house cleaning assignment on May 25.

The prosecutors said the driver allegedly "caught the Filipina by surprise by grabbing her from behind." He allegedly threw her on his bed and then assaulted her, the report said.

Testimony

In her testimony, the Filipina said the incident happened in the suspect’s Jebel Ali home, at Dubai’s International Media Production Zone.

At the time, she had just started working for a building services company.

She said the deal was to clean the driver's residence for two hours for Dh70.

When she finished, the driver handed her Dh100 but she said she did not have change.

"He asked me to keep the change and gave me biscuits, moisturizer and sun cream... then when I went towards the door wanting to leave, he told me that the two hours had not finished. He asked me to clean the television ... once I turned my back to clean the television set, he grabbed me from behind and threw me on the bed," the Filipina testified, as quoted in the Gulf News report.

She said she tried to push the driver away and begged him to leave her alone, but he overpowered her. The Filipina said the driver forcibly removed her clothes and raped her.

"After he finished I ran out and cried hysterically. I called my boss immediately and then my co-worker phoned and I told her what happened. My boss reported the matter to the police,” she said.

Meanwhile, the Filipina's co-worker confirmed the victim was devastated and sobbing when she saw her at her home.

For his part, an Emirati police lieutenant testified the Filipina cried when she claimed the driver had sex with her against her will.

He said they arrested the driver but he denied the woman’s allegations and claimed he "had consensual sex with her after she seduced him."

"During questioning, the defendant claimed that the 22-year-old lured him into having consensual sex with him while she was cleaning,” the lieutenant said. — RSJ, GMA News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

Biden said set to make push for demilitarized Palestinian state as part of new doctrine ---By LAZAR BERMAN

In Cairo, senior Hamas officials discuss hostage deal with Egyptian intelligence chief ---By TOI STAFF, AGENCIES and LAZAR BERMAN