Meet the Pinay singer in UAE with a black belt in taekwondo

AL AIN, United Arab Emirates — When Sandra Santosidad is not overpowering opponents with her fists and feet in taekwondo, she's wowing audiences with her voice.

The 24-year-old lifeguard in Atlantis Aquaventure loves singing so much that when she suffered a debilitating knee injury four months ago, singing became her solace.
 
Sandra Santosidad as a singer.
“Singing actually serves as a therapy for me,” Santosidad shared via email. “It uplifts me whenever I feel down, frustrated, or sad.”

The taekwondo incident, which happened while Santosidad was training last November, necessitated surgery and an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction.

“I was in a taekwondo training when I heard a clicking sound on my left knee. I felt pain on my patella and couldn’t straighten my knee. So they rushed me to the Saudi German Hospital where it was found out that the ligaments there were completely torn,” she narrated.

The incident happened a month after she performed at a waterpark in Dubai, belting out The Fugees “Killing Me Softly” and Adele's “Someone Like You.”

“Whatever I do and wherever I am, music will always be with me,” said Santosidad, who grew up in a music-loving family.

“My parents are both good singers,” she said. “According to them, they already observed my enthusiasm in singing when I turned one.”

Black belter

Santosidad martial arts proved to be Santosidad's first love.

“I had started my career when I was in Grade Three. I'm a 2nd Dan Black Belt now and a member of the Taekwondo Blackbelt Brotherhood and Sorority (TBB/TBS) where my seniors are Monsour del Rosario and Tshomlee Go,” she said.
 
Sandra Santosidad as a black belt in taekwondo.
If not for a singing competition in her barangay in 2006 where her band won first place, Santosidad would not consider singing in front of the public.

“The band’s lead singer backed out two days before the contest. I became the replacement since the band really wanted to pursue it. I sang 'Only One' by Yellowcard,” she recalled.

After that, she became her school’s representative in an amateur singing contest conducted by the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) of Manila.

“I didn’t win there but I was able to be in final round. I sang 'Because You Love Me' by Celine Dion during the semi- finals, then 'Bukas Na Lang Kita Mamahalin' by Lani Misalucha. Then I got invited again in acquaintance parties, weddings, and departmental orientations, among others,” Santosidad said.

Stage fright

Despite being good in both taekwondo and singing, Santosidad still finds it difficult to perform before a crowd.

“I still have stage fright,” she said, adding she's afraid the audience would “tease me, or they might not enjoy listening to me.”

To overcome this, she would just imagine that she's performing at an empty venue or before a disinterested crowd.

“Every time I perform, I just imagine that no one is watching me or they are busy with other things so they won’t notice me,” Santosidad said. — KBK, GMA News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

UP Diliman Professors Share Scientists’ Procurement Struggles at Senate Hearing

Biden said set to make push for demilitarized Palestinian state as part of new doctrine ---By LAZAR BERMAN