Pinays honored in Sydney's Filipino-Australian Women's Achievement Awards

When Sydney held this year’s Filipino-Australian Women's Achievement Awards, the ceremonies focused on Filipino women living in Australia and presented a positive image of Filipino women as contributors to the dynamic landscape of Australian economy, society and culture.

Honorable James Merlino, Minister Assisting in Multicultural Affairs highlighted the importance of strengthening the link between Australia and the Philippines as he spoke about the first wave of Filipino migrants 120 years ago.

Carmela Sison of ABS-CBN Australia News Bureau reported that he said among the first Filipinos who arrived in Australia were the ship's crew, pearl divers, traders & fishing fleet owners who began arriving in the 1880’s.

Over 120 years later the Australian based Filipino community excells in the creative arenas of arts, music, & design, in competitive sports & recreational activities in the field of business, politics & professional services.

"They wanted a stronger connection between Melbourne-Australia & the Philippines. And what better way to achieve that than through the women - Filipino women," Merlino said.

Three awards were handed at state level to three hardworking women living in Australia in order to give prominence to their significant contribution

The first award for Achievements in the Practice of Profession was awarded to Dra. Marianne Sison, programs director of Applied Communication & public Relation at the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology.

"I might as well support that because it is also a way of developing some role models for you know, at least letting people know that there are people like myself who are able to cut through the academic community," she said.

Cheers were heard in the background when the award for Achievement in Public, Civic and Community Service was handed to the 84 year old grand dame of the Filipino community Mrs. Aniceta Esmaquel for her 21 years of voluntary service in Australia.

"21 years ago I did not work here. I worked in the Philippines but when I came I was not capable to find a job because I was more than 45 years but I received the pension without working and I feel guilty if I will not share the gifts that God gave me. I will feel guilty if I will not take back whatever I am receiving in monetary things now. So, I dedicated my life. I will never retire," said Esmaquel.

Achievement in Entrepreneurship was awarded to Ms. Lita Mahle a migration agent who was away on business during that night.

In a nutshell, Honorary Consul Raul Hernandez described the Filipina of today

"I think the Filipina of today is a participative one. She is also in government, she is in the corporate world, she is in civic organization. So wherever you go now, Filipinas are trying to excel in their own fields," Hernandez stated.

The Filipino-Australian Women's Achievement Award will hopefully mark the beginning.ABSCBN News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

Biden said set to make push for demilitarized Palestinian state as part of new doctrine ---By LAZAR BERMAN

In Cairo, senior Hamas officials discuss hostage deal with Egyptian intelligence chief ---By TOI STAFF, AGENCIES and LAZAR BERMAN