Pinoys overseas told to be vigilant, cautious after Jakarta attack
The Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) on Friday advised Filipinos overseas, especially those in countries that previously experienced terrorist attacks, to be vigilant and extra cautious of their surroundings.
"Yun ang objective ng terrorism, mag-sow ng fear, ng takot. Pero at the same time, dapat po tayo talagang mag-take ng extra precaution, maging vigilant po tayo, maging maingat, maging cautious po sa ating kapaligiran," DFA spokesman Charles Jose told "Balitanghali" in an interview.
"Kung may mga suspicious na mga tao, o mga bagay, kailangan pong i-report kagad sa mga authorities," he added.
Jose gave the advice a day after Jakarta was rocked by multiple blasts and a gunfight that left seven people dead, five of them the attackers. The attack was blamed on the notorious radical group Islamic State.
Despite the atrocity, the Philippine government sees no reason to impose a travel ban to Indonesia, home to at least 10,000 Filipino workers.
Jose said the Philippines is one with Indonesia and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in condemning the attack.
"Nakiisa po tayo sa Indonesian government and Indonesian people sa kanila pong dinadaanan ngayon. I think yung ASEAN po ay very much concerned and also very much behind po sa Indonesia at the present situation," he said. —Rie Takumi/KBK, GMA News