Pinoy in UAE loses equivalent of P92,676 to suspected bank fraud

A Filipino engineer in Dubai, United Arab Emirates lost Dh7,737 (P92,676) in minutes, in what authorities suspect could be a case of bank fraud.

Leo Mamaclay, 32, a systems engineer at a metal and mining company, said he learned of the incident last Thursday, Gulf News XPRESS reported.

“I was at work when the texts from my bank came. The first SMS really confused me, but when my phone buzzed five times in a row I knew something was wrong. I got in touch with the bank immediately,” he said.

“They cleaned up my account in less than two minutes and cared to leave behind Dh61.40 (P731). The most intriguing thing for me however is the fact that the withdrawals, according to my bank, took place in Mexico. It’s literally another end of the world for me,” he added.

He said the notifications indicated he may have made five successive ATM withdrawals within two minutes.

Records showed the withdrawals were made in Mexico Feb. 19, including two transactions worth Dh2,985.09, two worth Dh752.49 and a one involving Dh256.33.

The report said the bank did not immediately comment on the incident.  Joel Locsin/LBG, GMA News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

In Cairo, senior Hamas officials discuss hostage deal with Egyptian intelligence chief ---By TOI STAFF, AGENCIES and LAZAR BERMAN

LIST: 21 medicines added to VAT-exempt list Ian Laqui - Philstar.com