Kin of OFWs killed in Saudi accident start repatriation process
Families of some of the 13 Filipinos killed in a road accident in Saudi Arabia last week have begun the laborous process of repatriating the remains of their loved ones, a report on Balitanghali said Monday.
In her report, GMA News' Maki Pulido said the wives of the three fatalities went to the recruitment agency on Monday morning to submit the documents needed to kickstart the repatriation process.
The report quoted the wives as saying that they have yet to be briefed on the entire process and on the benefits that they should receive from the government following the November 16 accident.
The wives also said they have yet to be approached by representatives from the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) and Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA).
According to the kin of the fatalities, they learned of the accident through Facebook, and had a difficult time confirming it from the DFA because of the Asia Pacific Economic Conference (APEC) meeting last week, which was held in Metro Manila.
The report quoted a wife as saying that nobody from the DFA answered her call last week. Road closures because of the APEC summit also discouraged them from personally going to the DFA office in Pasay City.
The report said the confirmation came from the Filipino workmates of the victims.
At present, the relatives of the fatalities are awaiting updates from the recruitment agency. —KBK, GMA News