PHL bats for increased age limit for foreign workers in Korea
The Philippine ambassador in South Korea has proposed the raising of the age limit for foreign workers there from 38 to 45 for both new entrants and voluntary returnees to prevent cases of overstaying.
Philippine Ambassador Raul Hernandez made this and other proposals during a meeting with Minister of Employment and Labor Lee Ki-kweon last month, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) in a news release.
During the meeting, held in Seoul on March 16 and attended by officials from other labor-sending countries, Hernandez also suggested that South Korea's re-entry law be amended to allow foreign workers to return to their employer who would welcome them back.
Allowing the foreign worker to return to his employer, Hernandez said, "leads to greater or enhanced productivity and is beneficial not only to the parties involved but to the Korean economy as well."
The DFA said Lee thanked Hernandez for his “valuable suggestions” and said the Ministry of Employment and Labor (MOEL) would consider these as inputs in re-assessing its Employment Permit System (EPS).
The Philippines is the fourth largest among the 15 labor-sending countries under South Korea's EPS.
As of January 2016, there were about 25,421 Filipino workers who are working for around 6,600 small and medium enterprises in Korea. —Rie Takumi/KBK, GMA News