Monday, July 11, 2016

PHL cautions citizens in Bangladesh after deadly hostage-taking

The Philippine government urged Filipinos in Bangladesh to "exercise caution" following the July 1 hostage-taking incident at a packed restaurant in Dhaka that left 20 hostages, many of them foreigners, dead.
Although no Filipinos were hurt in the incident, the Philippine Embassy in Dhaka said its line — +880 191 5477731 — is open for Filipino nationals who may be affected by the incident or who may require assistance.
"In its report, the Philippine Embassy in Dhaka indicated that no Filipinos were affected by the incident," the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said in a statement on Thursday.
"The Embassy has accordingly issued an advisory to the Filipino community to exercise caution," it added.
Alert Level 1 or Precautionary Phase, which was issued in October last year, remains in effect over Bangladesh, the DFA said.
The Philippine government, meanwhile, condemned the hostage-taking incident, describing it as "a serious atrocity committed against peace-loving nations and peoples."
"The siege in Dhaka is a serious atrocity committed against peace-loving nations and peoples," the DFA said.
"The Philippines expresses its solidarity with the government and people of Bangladesh and extends sincere condolences to the victims' families," it added.
Many of those killed in the hostage-taking incident were foreigners from Italy, Japan, India and the United States. The assault was claimed by the Islamic State.  —with Rose-an Jessica Dioquino/KBK/NB, GMA News

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget