Filipino workers who lost their jobs in Saudi Arabia as a result of the oil crisis last year have something to look forward to on March 28 — a job and livelihood fair.
The one-day event, sponsored by the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), will be held at the Occupational Safety and Health Center in Quezon City.
Returning OFWs from nine distressed Saudi Arabian companies, including Saudi Oger Ltd. and Saudi Bin Laden Group of Companies, have already pre-registered with the OWWA early this week for the fair. Most of them are from the National Capital Region, Central Luzon, and CALABARZON.
Walk-in applicants, however, will also be accommodated on March 28.
OWWA Administrator Hans Leo Cacdac said 20 agencies for overseas employment and 20 employers for local job placement were invited to the fair. They will be hiring applicants on the spot.
Cacdac said similar activities have been set for displaced OFWs from other regions such as in Cebu and Mandaue starting this week.
OFWs from the nine Saudi Arabia firms are encouraged to pre-register in order to facilitate and hasten the processing of their applications.
Aside from the Saudi Bin Laden Group of Companies and the Saudi Oger Ltd., OFWs from these other firms are encouraged to attend the job fair:
Mohammed al-Mojil Group,
Mohammad Hameed Al-Bargash & Bros. Trading & Construction,
Rajeh H. Al Merri Contracting & Trading Company,
Fawzi Salah-Al Nairani Contracting Company,
Arabtec Construction L.L.C., and
Real Estate Development and Investment Company
"This is part of our continuing effort to help our OFWs especially those who lost their jobs in Saudi Arabia," Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said in a statement Wednesday. —KBK, GMA News