Undocumented Filipinos have started flocking to the Philippine Consulate in Jeddah to register for the amnesty program being offered by the Saudi Arabia government.
Under the program, foreigners staying illegally in the Kingdom have 90 days starting March 29 to leave the country without paying penalties or to correct their status.
Those who will leave Saudi Arabia will also be allowed to return and work there.
Most of those who registered have expressed intention to come home to see their families, as some haven't been home in over 20 years.
"Iniwan ko ang anak ko tatlong buwan pa lang at ngayon magga-graduate na siya ng kolehiyo kaya uuwi na ako," said Tina Muksin, who left the Philippines for Saudi Arabia in 1997.
"Paminsan rin may tampo ang anak ko sa akin dahil sa hindi ko pag-uwi pero mabuti na rin ito keysa nandoon nga ako pero wala ka naman maibigay. Mas mabuti na nandito ka na lang," she added.
Muksin said she has been illegally staying in Saudi Arabia for years already.
Juan Jocson, who hasn't been to the Philippines in six years, is also availing of the amnesty to finally go home.
"Masaya po at makakauwi na rin kami ng Pilipinas. Matagal na rin naming inintay ito. Magsi-six years na rin ako at gusto ko na makita ang pamilya ko," he told GMA News.
The report quoted the Consulate as saying that it expects more undocumented OFWs to register in the coming days.
A report on Gulf News last week said Prince Mohammad, Saudi Arabia’s Interior Minister, ordered all concerned agencies and departments to ease the departure of all foreigners who wished to leave the Kingdom. —Ronaldo Concha/KBK, GMA News