Heads will roll if neglect of retrenched OFWs is proven, Bello warns
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III on Thursday said heads will roll if it is proven that some Philippine officials in Saudi Arabia were remiss in their duties to help Filipino workers affected by the massive layoffs triggered by the slump in oil prices.
"Pag napatunayan naman yung mga reports sa 'min, itutuloy ko yung pagtatanggal namin sa labor attachés at welfare officers namin dun lalong-lalo na kung maliwanag na nagpapabaya sa pag-aalaga ng aming mga migrant workers," Bello said.
Bello made the promise during a meeting with repatriated OFWs and families of OFWs who are still in Saudi Arabia waiting for their backpay and end-of-employment benefits from their former companies.
During the meeting, held at the Department of Labor and Employment's main office in Intramuros, Manila, relatives of the stranded OFWs informed him of officials who were either inefficient or seemed uninterested in addressing their needs.
Others also complained of labor officials who asked for documents that were difficult to obtain such as payslips from companies that stopped paying the OFWs for at least six months.
Bello had already sacked the labor attaches in Riyadh and Jeddah in July for allegedly failing to address the needs of retrenched OFWs in their respective area.
"Pinabayaan 'yung ating mga migrant workers dun. Mahigit isang taon na palang nagkaganon na sitwasyon, crisis situation, 'di man lang pinapaabot sa 'min," he said. —KBK, GMA News