OFW, depressed over retrenchment, dies in Saudi Arabia
A Filipino worker who was among the tens of thousands of migrant workers affected by the downsizing of construction companies in Saudi Arabia died on Sunday following a stroke.
Rizalino Jacinto, 56, was rushed to the hospital Saturday after he was found unconscious in the room he shares with his wife Brenda, who is also an overseas Filipino worker.
"Bagama't masakit [ay] tanggap ko na po ang mga nangyari," Brenda told GMA News in an interview. "Hangad ko na lang na maiuwi ang labi ng aking mister at makuha ang matagal na niyang inaantay."
She was referring to her husband's unpaid salary and end-of-service benefits from Saudi Oger, one of the large firms in Saudi Arabia that laid off thousands of its foreign workers late last year due to the slump in oil prices.
An estimated 11,000 Filipino workers were affected by the massive retrenchment.
Jacinto's friends said he has been depressed since he lost his job in the Kingdom.
"Alam mo baon na sila sa utang, ang mga kinakain lang nila araw-araw ay inuutang lang nila sa tindahan," one of Jacinto's housemates said.
The Philippine labor office in Saudi Arabia said Jacinto's family will receive death and other benefits from the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration as he was a registered worker.
Before he was laid off, Jacinto had worked in Saudi Oger for over 20 years. —Ronaldo Concha/KBK, GMA News