PHL to request access to alleged IS Pinay supporter detained in Kuwait
The Philippine government will request access to the woman believed to be Filipino and detained in Kuwait for allegedly pledging allegiance to the Islamic State, the Department of Foreign Affairs said on Tuesday.
Foreign Affairs spokesman Charles Jose said Philippine officials in Kuwait have yet to determine the woman's identity and nationality.
“Our embassy in Kuwait has yet to be officially notified of the reported arrest of a Filipina in Kuwait. Nevertheless, our Embassy will request access to the detainee to determine her identity and establish the circumstances of her case,” Jose said in a statement.
If warranted, Jose assured that "our embassy will extend the necessary consular and legal assistance.”
The 32-year-old woman, reported as Filipino by state news KUNA, has been under surveillance before she was arrested last week.
KUNA reported that the woman allegedly confessed that she was “ready to carry out any terrorist attack once circumstances and means were available...to undermine security and stability in Kuwait.”
Dozens of Filipinos have been reported in the past to have been recruited by the IS, while some have been undergoing training in the militant group’s camps.
However, the Philippine military said it has not received any intelligence report supporting such claims. —ALG, GMA News