Thursday, February 9, 2017

2 OFWs killed, 15 hurt in Oman fire

Two overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) were killed in a fire that hit their accommodations in Oman over the weekend.
In a statement Wednesday, the Overseas Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) identified the two as Susan Padojinog and Emilia Bobo, who both died last Saturday morning in Muscat.
The OWWA said it is already fast-tracking the release of aid and benefits to the families of the two OFWs.
OWWA officer-in-charge Josefino Torres said the families of Padojinog and Bobo, who hailed from South Cotabato and Quezon, respectively, have full coverage as both were active members at the time of their deaths.
Padojinog and Bobo's families are entitled to death benefits due to accident of P200,000, P20,000 burial benefits, and psycho-social counseling.
They may also apply for scholarship and P15,000 livelihood package of the Education and Livelihood Assistance Program (ELAP) and educational assistance to one OFW beneficiary until they finish schooling.
Officials of the Philippine Overseas Labor Officials in Oman, OWWA, and the OFWs’ foreign recruitment agency (FRA) also offered assistance to the 15 Filipinos and five other victims who were injured in the fire.
“We are aware that although the victims have survived the incident, they may still be in trauma or in a state of shock considering that two of their co-workers did not make it," Torres said.
"Thus, as part of the OWWA’s program and service, we may conduct psycho-social counseling to them when they arrive in case they decide to come home to be with their respective families,” he added.
A victim was brought to Oman Khoula Hospital for smoke inhalation, 11 were confined at the Oman Royal Hospital, and the rest sustained minor injuries from the blaze.
The FRA footed the victims' hospital bills, medicines, and laboratory exams while OWWA promised to provide the fire survivors support, including repatriation. Rie Takumi/KBK, GMA News

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget