‘Pitch Perfect 2’ star with Pinoy blood wants to visit PHL ‘so much’

LOS ANGELES — After the successful run of “Pitch Perfect,” the Barden Bellas are back, and this time, they have Filipino-American Hailee Steinfeld as Emily Junk, one of the new additions to the a cappella female group.

After working as a producer on the first “Pitch Perfect” film, Elizabeth Banks makes her debut as a director of the comedy sequel, “Pitch Perfect 2,” which will be showing in the Philippines on May 13.

Based on the characters created by Kay Cannon, which was loosely adapted from Mickey Rapkin’s non-fiction book, titled “Pitch Perfect: The Quest for Collegiate A Cappella Glory,” the second offering also introduces new characters like Chrissie Fit’s Flo, Birgitte Hjort Sorensen’s Kommissar and Flula Borg’s Pieter Kramer, both co-leaders of the Bella’s main rival, Germany’s Das Sound Machine.

Reprising their former roles in the film are Anna Kendrick (as Beca Mitchell), Rebel Wilson (Patricia “Fat Amy”), Brittany Snow (Chloe Beale) and Adam DeVine (Bumper Allen).

We recently talked to Hailee, Rebel, Anna, Brittany and Adam and they were all excited to be back with the gang.

So how was it being with the girls again, we asked.

“It was truly trippy to see everyone again, to be in the same town and play the same character,” revealed Anna. “There was a point when I said to myself, ‘Did I just wake up from a dream and am I just doing ‘Pitch Perfect 1’?’ It was really bizarre. Hailee and Chrissie are the new cast members and they are a great representation of what writer Kay Cannon can do in this insane mix of personalities. She added a really dry, stoic and dark Latin sort of firecracker (Chrissie’s character) and a naïve puppy dog character (Hailee’s character) and they were just so funny.”

Rebel added, “We have a total of 10 girls in the group. It was really fun. We had a good time. Sometimes we would ‘Pitch slap’ each other because we have been working 16 hours a day and you can get angry at each other. But nobody got violent. It was lots of fun.”

Adam concurred, “In the first movie, we all became best friends. We had similar ages. So it was just like seeing old friends when you come back from summer break. But this summer break would be two years, instead of two months.”

“It was amazing!” exclaimed Brittany. “From the first one to this one, there are so many girls, so many different personalities, but it was fun. We hang out with each other. We are lucky to have them in the film.”

'I am part Filipino'

She revealed that it was her first time to work with Hailee. “I was a big fan of hers,” she confessed. “I think I geeked out when I first met her. So I was really excited. We were silently telling Elizabeth that she should be cast.”

Anna exclaimed, “Hailee is great! She is so sweet. She is so like her character. She is this wide-eyed girl and a total professional. She always says, ‘Oh my stars’ but for real. She is not kidding. She does not say ‘Oh my God’ but just ‘Oh my stars.’ So I said, ‘Can you be any cuter than that? I can’t stand it.’”

As for Hailee, the 18-year-old who was nominated for an Oscar for her performance in “True Grit” in 2010, has blossomed into a confident, mature young lady.

“Oh, you just missed my mom,” she told us when we walked into the room. Hailee, who is the daughter of Cheri (nee Domasin) from Bohol, an interior designer, and Peter Steinfeld, a personal fitness trainer, is proud of her Filipino roots.



“I am part Filipino,” she told Brittany.

When we asked her when she is going to the Philippines, she replied, “I have always wanted to go to the Philippines. I want to go so much. You don’t know how badly I want to go. I have to stop saying it and just go. But yes, very soon. I promise.”

If ever she visits the Philippines, she said she looks forward to “seeing and doing everything. I have heard so much about it. I want to go there and have fun.”

Hailee revealed that it would be her first time to sing in a film in “Pitch Perfect 2.”

“This is the first time anybody will hear me sing which is weird because it is something I have always wanted to do but I never took seriously,” she said. “I took this opportunity to segue into that. Yeah, it was exciting.”

So with her mom always accompanying her, can she talk about how her mom’s support helped her in her career? “Yes, I would not be here if not for my mom,” she stressed. “We were just reminiscing about those years we spent living in our car, driving around Los Angeles, doing audition after audition, and meeting after meeting. It was just crazy. I am so blessed to be where I am today because of her and to always have her support.”

Pinoy food

Did her mom cook Filipino food for her, we wondered.

“She never made it,” she quipped. “I don’t know if she can. But we always go to our favorite Filipino restaurants.”

Hailee added that she watched the recent Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather fight and was disappointed with the results since she was rooting for Manny.

Rebel, on the other hand, talked about her Filipino fans.

“I love my Filipino fans,” she said. “I find Filipinos the sweetest, nicest people and they are very good singers. People in the Philippines are amazing singers.”

Rebel revealed that she visited the Philippines when she was a child. “I was with my family and we went on a cruise. We went to different countries and one of the countries we visited was the Philippines. There is also good shopping in the Philippines.”

 Adam, for his part, recalled, “I did not know that ‘Pitch Perfect’ is huge in the Philippines. I was in a cruise too one time and the cruise ship was filled with Filipino crewmembers. When they found out I was in ‘Pitch Perfect,’ they all freaked out. I have no idea it was so big there. It was cool.”  —KBK, GMA News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

UP Diliman Professors Share Scientists’ Procurement Struggles at Senate Hearing

Biden said set to make push for demilitarized Palestinian state as part of new doctrine ---By LAZAR BERMAN