UAE court clears cabbie of charges of abducting, threatening Pinay

A United Arab Emirates appellate court has upheld the acquittal of a Pakistani taxi driver on charges he kidnapped a Filipina waitress in April 2014, and threatened to kill her if she did not have sex with him.
 
The Dubai Appeal Court last Wednesday dismissed an appeal by prosecutors to overturn the driver's acquittal, UAE news site Gulf News reported late Saturday.
 
Presiding judge Saeed Salem Bin Sarm upheld the innocence of the cabbie after the appellate court cited a lack of corroborated evidence.
 
Wednesday’s ruling is subject to appeal before the Cassation Court within 30 days.
 
Earlier, the cabbie, 34, denied claims he offered to drive the Filipina to her home and threatened to kill her if she did not sleep with him.
 
Prosecutors claimed the Pakistani kidnapped the waitress after he deceived her and threatened her verbally.
 
They added the Filipina, 24, escaped by claiming she was thirsty and asked him for water, then opened the cab door and fled.
 
The Filipina said the incident happened shortly after she left work in Al Karama.
 
She said that after she got on the Pakistani's cab, he "took a different route and he did not start the meter," and did not answer her questions why he did so.
 
"I took out my mobile wanting to call the police, but he yelled at me and ordered me to switch off my phone. He dragged out a shaft and threatened to beat me. I was scared and cried," she said.
 
She said that after minutes of driving, he stopped at a roadside and asked her to take off her clothes, and "threatened to kill me if I did not yield."
 
"Once again I asked him for water to mislead him and try to flee … when he turned towards his door to pick up a bottle of water, I opened the door and ran. He took off quickly,” she said.  Joel Locsin/RSJ, GMA News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

Selling of balikbayan boxes online part of deal between sender, firm —BOC By JOAHNA LEI CASILAO, GMA Integrated News

Dozens injured after train derails in Netherlands: emergency services --- Agence France-Presse