28 Pinoys in Italy quake’s epicenter evacuated to safety
Twenty-eight Filipinos will be brought to Rome after escaping the town closest to the epicenter of the 6.6-magnitude earthquake that hit central Italy on Sunday, the Philippine consulate said.
No deaths had been registered following the tremor in Norcia but the Filipinos, together with other residents, had to take shelter in an evacuation center in the city of Perugia, according to Consul General Bernie Candolada.
Candolada said the Filipinos are now with welfare officer Hector Cruz, who will accompany them in the trip to Rome.
"We negotiated with Perugia Comune for the release of 28 Filipino nationals to our representative there and transfer them to Rome. We are ready to welcome all 28 Filipino nationals from Norcia to Rome", the consul general said.
"The Philippine government government has approved all our requests for assistance," he added.
Cruz said they will be staying in Casa per Ferie in Morlupo once they arrive in Rome.
He also asked the public to extend assistance to the earthquake survivors.
"Isang mahigpit na panawagan po sa ating mga kababayan sa Roma. Nangangailangan po ng mga damit ang ating mga kababayan", Cruz said.
The earthquake struck close to the region where some 300 people were killed by a tremor in August. Sunday's quake destroyed many historic buildings and was felt as far away as Rome. — Virgil Lopez/RSJ, GMA News