Friday, November 11, 2016

Over 2,000 Pinoys welcome Duterte in Malaysia

President Rodrigo Duterte arrived in Malayisa to the warm welcome of over 2,000 Filipinos in Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday.
In his address to the members of the Filipino community present at the welcome gathering, he told them of his heightened campaign against drug abuse and corruption, GMA News' Steve Dailisan said Thursday on Unang Balita.
Amid criticisms against his anti-drug campaign, Duterte encouraged Pinoys in Malaysia to "fight for what is right," Dailisan said.
Citing official data, Dailisan said that there are some 100,000 Filipinos in the capital Kuala Lumpur, and over 500,000 in the Sabah area.
Moreover, he said that 60 percent of the Filipinos in the country are domestic helpers and the rest (40%) are skilled workers. 
Also, the Unang Balita report said there are 27 Filipinos on death row in Malaysia but a moratorium on executions has been in effect.  
Meanwhile, Trade and Industry Secretary Ramon Lopez is scheduled to meet Thursday morning with  Malaysia's business community, in hopes of generating more job opportunities for Filipinos in Malaysia and even in the Philippines, the report added. 
Duterte's introductory visit to Malaysia is aimed at strengthening cooperation against abductions and piracy in the sea, especially in waters between the two countries. —LBG, GMA News

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget