Jobless Pinoy in Saudi Arabia turns to scavenging in order to survive
An overseas Filipino worker (OFW) who has been stranded and jobless in Yanbu Al Bahar, Saudi Arabia, for almost a year already has turned to scavenging in order to survive, a report by GMA News' Jamie Santos on Balitanghali said Monday.
Endrico Melicado is appealing for help in order for him to return to the Philippines, saying his former employer has refused to process his papers after their company closed due to the oil crisis that hit Saudi Arabia.
"Gusto ko sana makauwi na, pinapaasa lang ako ng boss ko na asikasuhin yung papeles ko," Melicado said.
Melicado said he has been living alone, seeking scraps for food and potable water, while other OFWs were sent back home.
"Yung mga Pilipinong kasama ko nakauwi na at ako na lang mag-isa. 11 months na ako ditong nakatunganga walang sahod, nag-aalala na pamilya ko. Wala na po akong magawa," he said.
The report quoted Melicado as saying that he had already contacted Philippine officials in Saudi Arabia but they have yet to give him updates.
"Hanggang ngayon wala pa rin. Magdalawang buwan na akong naghihintay," Melicado said.
GMA News tried to reach the Philippine Embassy in Jeddah but it has yet to receive any feedback from it.
The video of Melicado was uploaded on social media by his fellow OFW, Cris Ostia, who returned to the Philippines after four months of being stranded in Saudi Arabia.
After the video went viral, the report said Melicado told Ostia that assistance started coming in from Filipinos in the form of food and water.
Melicado also said the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration has already contacted him and has promised to extend assistance. —Joseph Tristan Roxas/KBK, GMA News