Abused OFW in Kuwait: Makauwi lang ako, kahit wala akong pera
Like many other OFWs, Grace Saplot went to Kuwait with hopes of earning big to pull her family out of poverty. What she did not expect was coming home broken.
According to Saplot, the abuse she experienced while in Kuwait left her so traumatized that even back in the Philippines she was still dreaming about it.
"Isa lang po talaga ang hiniling ko sa Diyos nung nasa loob ako. Hiling ko lang po talaga makauwi ako ng safe sa pamilya ko, ayos na po ako kahit wala akong pera, kahit wala lahat. At least po buhay ako," a crying Saplot said in a report by GMA News' Emil Sumangil on Balitanghali on Friday.
The report said Saplot lost weight during her stay in Kuwait. Aside from working long hours, her employer also allegedly did not feed her well.
Saplot also suffered physical abuse from her employer in the form of punches and kicks, the report said.
Traumatized, Saplot said she doesn't think she can go back to being an OFW.
"Parang ayoko na po. Na-trauma na po ako. Minsan nga po nananaginip pa rin ako kahit nandito ako sa Pilipinas. Napapanaginipan ko pa rin yung amo ko na sinasaktan niya ako," she said.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III last month said they are "seriously considering" such deployment ban, the proposal for which came following the death of Amy Capulong Santiago allegedly from the hands of her employer.
Bello however said there may be a delay in the implementation, as the government does not want to make it seem like a "retaliatory move." —KBK, GMA News