Number of Pinoys who applied for Saudi amnesty breaches 5,000 mark
JEDDAH — The number of undocumented Filipinos who applied for the amnesty being offered by the Saudi Arabian government for overstaying foreigners has breached the 5,000 mark, according to the Philippine Consulate here.
In an interview, Consul RJ Sumague said some 5,200 undocumented Filipinos have already registered for the amnesty, and more are expected with several more weeks left before the amnesty ends.
"Meron pa natitirang mahigit isang buwan, at sa dami ng mga tumatawag at nagi-inquire tungkol sa amnesty posibleng abutin ng 7,000 ang mga kababayan natin na magpapalista para makauwi ng Pilipinas," he said.
The 90-day amnesty started on March 29. Since then, some 500 overstaying Filipinos have already been deported.
Sumague said most of those who registered are former domestic helpers who ran away from their employers.
At present, the consulate is arranging the flight schedules of those who already have exit visa, Sumague said. They are also checking on who among these Filipinos bought their own tickets.
"Nagchi-check po kami maige kung may mga ticket na yung mga nabigyan ng ng exit visa para masiguro na hindi magka-doble ang pagbili ng ticket," the official said.
Officials earlier said some 15,000 Filipinos stand to benefit from the amnesty. —Ronaldo Concha/KBK, GMA News