Monday, September 14, 2015

DFA: No Pinoy reported hurt in Mecca crane tragedy

The Department of Foreign Affairs on Saturday said there were no Filipinos hurt in the falling crane accident on Friday that killed at least 107 people at Mecca's Grand Mosque in Saudi Arabia.

In a text message, DFA Spokesman Charles Jose told GMA News Online: “Our Consulate General in Jeddah has confirmed that there are no reports so far of Filipinos hurt or killed in the [accident] in Mecca.”

An earlier report also said at least 238 people were wounded in the tragedy taht happened less than two weeks before Islam's annual Hajj pilgrimage.

Saudi Arabia is home to at least a million Filipinos based on latest data from the Commission on Filipinos Overseas.

Many Muslim Filipinos troop to Mecca for the annual pilgrimage.  Andrei Medina/LBG, GMA News

No comments:

There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget