Marlisa Punzalan says self-confidence key to her ‘X Factor Australia’ triumph

If there's one advice Filipina "X Factor Australia" winner Marlisa Punzalan can give to aspiring singers, it's to always have confidence in yourself.

The 15-year-old daughter of Filipino immigrants won the singing competition on Monday night, a feat some critics thought impossible when she auditioned as a meek 14-year-old last July.

Punzalan, who has relatives in Bataan, said "it'll be a dream come true" for her to perform and sell her albums in the Philippines.

"I was born in Australia and I've been in the Philippines once only, in 2009,” she shared in an interview on GMA News TV's “Balitanghali.”

“I went to Bataan and each morning I woke up with Coke and not juice,” she recalled when asked about her time in Samal.


Still in disbelief

On her victory, Punzalan said it “hasn't sunk in yet at all.”

“I feel like I'm living in the clouds. I just can't believe it," she said.

While consistently praised for her vocal skills, Punzalan said her age put on some added pressure on her.

“There was a lot of pressure because I am the youngest competitor and all the other contestants are really strong as well. And I think it's mainly because people have disbelief in me, yet I managed to take it, so I'm really proud of myself,” she said.

Earning praises from the judges throughout the competition emboldened the teenager, who confessed that the boost in confidence helped her become a better performer despite “quite a lot of pressure.”

Judges eventually took notice of her improvements and lauded her backstage.

"The judges were telling me that I was starting to soar and I was improving week by week and I was getting better and better. I was really happy to hear those comments, and I think they could see an improvement in me," Punzalan said.

Never give up

Punzalan said that making it to the top three was a combination of working hard and having a good support system.

“I felt really good that I made it to the top three, and I can't thank God enough for my supportive and... supporting me all the way here so they've really given me confidence and I'm so grateful,” she said.

She then advised aspiring singers to follow their dreams and "never give up, believe in yourself, always have confidence in yourself, and just keep fighting."

Punzalan was the only Filipino competitor in the top three, where she competed with solo singer Dean Ray and group Brothers 3.

Aside from the Beatles classic "Yesterday", Punzalan also performed "Stand By You" and "Never Be The Same".

She was mentored by former Boyzone member Ronan Keating, who said she was "incredible"  and "got what it takes" to continue her career.

Other Filipinos who competed in this year's "X-Factor Australia" included girl group Trill and solo singers Jal Joshua, Erin Miranda, Justin Vasquez, and Mary Ann van der Horst. Rie Takumi/KBK, GMA News

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POPCOM, gagamit ng ‘digital platforms’ para pagtibayin ang mga ugnayang pampamilya

UP Diliman Professors Share Scientists’ Procurement Struggles at Senate Hearing

Biden said set to make push for demilitarized Palestinian state as part of new doctrine ---By LAZAR BERMAN